On this page, you'll find useful information about your first trimester. In Jacksonville, FL, FABEN Obstetrics and Gynecology will help you through all stages of your pregnancy.
What to Expect
Bleeding: Spotting or bleeding is very common in early pregnancy. If you are spotting, please call us during regular office hours. Be reassured that spotting can be particularly common after any vaginal exam, vaginal ultrasound, or intercourse. If you are bleeding more than a period and have severe lower abdominal pain, please call us immediately.
Nausea: Nausea is common in early pregnancy. If possible, we prefer conservative measures such as frequent small meals (six a day) and the use of bland foods. Avoid dehydration by drinking plenty of fluids. If you are unable to tolerate liquids, please call the office.
Constipation: Constipation is a common problem in pregnancy. Drink plenty of fluids and eat meals high in fiber, such as fruits, whole grains, and vegetables.
Prenatal Nutritional Information
Medications and Pregnancy
If possible, you should try and avoid any medication during the first 12 weeks of your pregnancy. However, occasionally you may need to take something. The following is a list of medications that are appropriate to use in pregnancy.
- Allergies: Claritin, Zyrtec, Normal Saline Nose Spray (for dry nasal passages)
- Backache: Tylenol Regular Strength or Extra Strength
- Cold &/or Flu: Tylenol Regular Strength
- Congestion: Claritin, Mucinex, Vicks Vapor Rub, Sudacare Vaporizing Shower Tablets *TAKE NOTHING CONTAINING ALCOHOL*
Bulking agents—Metamucil, Fibercon, Fiberall, Benefiber, Citrucel
Laxatives—Senekot, Pericolace, Fleets Enema (only if no bowel movement after 3 days)
Stool Softeners—Colace, Doxidan, Dulcolax, Milk of Magnesia
- Cereals that may help: Cracklin Oat Bran/Uncle Sam’s
- Cough: Robitussin DM, Vicks Cough Syrup, Throat Spray, Throat Lozenges *TAKE NOTHING CONTAINING ALCOHOL*
- Diarrhea: Increase fluids-Gatorades/PowerAde/Pedialyte/Water
- Fever &/or Headache: Tylenol Regular or Extra Strength *TAKE NOTHING CONTAINING ASPIRIN or ASPIRIN PRODUCTS i.e. Motrin/Ibuprofen/Advil/Aleve/Excedrin
- First Aid: Neosporin Ointment, Bacitracin Ointment
- Gas: Phayzyme, Simethicone, Beano, Gas-X
Antacids—Maalox, Mylanta, Tums, Gaviscon
Acid Reducers— Tagament (once or twice daily), Pepcid AC (as package direction), Prevacid (as package direction)
- Hemorrhoids: Preparation H, Anusol HC, Tucks Wipes
- Insomnia: Benadryl, Tylenol PM (as package directions)
- Leg cramps: Tums (take one three times a day)
- Nausea &/or Vomiting: Dramamine, Emetrol, Vitamin B6 10–25 mg tablets three times a day, Ginger capsules 250mg four times a day, Gin-Gin candies (World Market), Sea Bands. If symptoms persist, please contact the office.
- Rashes/Itching or Insect Bites: Benadryl, Zyrtec, Claritin, Hydrocortisone cream/lotion or ointment, Benadryl cream/lotion or ointment, Caladryl lotion/cream, Aveeno Oatmeal baths
- Sore Throat: Tylenol Regular or Extra Strength as needed, Throat Spray, Throat Lozenges, Gargle